The Ministry of Justice has announced a new proposed probate fee system. Instead of the current flat fee of £215 there will be a sliding scale of charges, depending on the value of an estate:
- For estates worth between £50,000 and £300,000 the probate fee will be £300
- Those between £300,000 and £500,000 must pay £1,000
- For estates worth between £500,000 and £1m the fee will be £4,000
- For those worth between £1m and £1.6m it is going to come to £8,000
- The charge will be £12,000 for estates worth between £1.6m and £2m
- Estates valued at over £2m will incur fees of £20,000.